Recently, bee smart city has signed the ”City as a Platform Manifesto” organized by TM Forum, the industry association driving digital business transformation of the communications industry, to accelerate the development of smart cities globally. The manifesto is in line with the vision of bee smart city to accelerate the development of prosperous and livable smart cities and intelligent communities around the world.
With The Smart City Solution Database, bee smart city provides free access to more than 300 smart city solutions that have been implemented in more than 100 cities, globally. Sharing best practices between smart cities has never been easier for all stakeholders in smart city development. Most challenges and problems that cities and communities face are similar – regardless of size, urban or rural setting. Collaboration and active adaptation of existing smart solutions are important drivers of smart city success.
“bee smart city is the home of adaptable smart city solutions for all smart city actors. A smart city is not about technology. It rather is an ecosystem of intelligent solutions – tech- and no-tech – that makes a city smart", states Bart Gorynski, Managing Partner at bee smart city. “At bee smart city we always say that being smart it is about doing the right things right to serve all stakeholders through a human-centric approach to increase inclusion, livability and prosperity. This perspective is perfectly reflected in the ten principles of the manifesto”, adds Dr. Alexander Gelsin, Managing Partner at bee smart city.
“The smart city movement is not all about technology nor all about urban needs. The winning formula is when you manage to successfully orchestrate a collaborative approach between the public and private sectors. We believe that the creation of vibrant data economies will unleash the right type of market forces that can meet urban needs and requirements, which is why we created the City as a Platform Manifesto”, says Carl Piva, Managing Director Smart Cities and Vice President at TM Forum.
The “City as a Platform Manifesto” sets out ten key principles for the implementation of digital smart city platforms that serve citizens, local businesses and other stakeholders:
- City platforms must enable services that improve the quality of life in cities; benefitting residents, the environment, and helping to bridge the digital divide
- City platforms must bring together both public and private stakeholders in digital ecosystems
- City platforms must support sharing economy principles and the circular economy agenda
- City platforms must provide ways for local start-ups and businesses to innovate and thrive
- City platforms must enforce the privacy and security of confidential data
- City platforms must inform political decisions and offer mechanisms for residents to make their voices heard
- City platforms must involve the local government in their governance and curation, and are built and managed by the most competent and merited organizations
- City platforms must be based on open standards, industry best practices and open APIs to facilitate a vendor neutral approach, with industry agreed architecture models (see below for examples)
- City platforms must support a common approach to federation of data or services between cities, making it possible for cities of all sizes to take part in the growing data economy
- City platforms must support the principles of UN Sustainable Development Goal 11: Making cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
More than 100 organizations from all over the world - cities, regional and international government bodies, telecoms operators, technology firms and associations – have already signed the City as a Platform Manifesto.
TM Forum’s City as a Platform Manifesto can be found and signed at:
The Smart City Solutions Database can be accessed for free at:
About bee smart city
bee smart city is a digital startup established by experienced professionals and smart city experts to accelerate the development of prosperous and livable smart cities and communities around the globe. The smart city market is currently neither transparent nor digitalized. bee smart city provides an efficient toolset for smart city analysis and for facilitating collaboration and the successful implementation of the best smart city solutions available. bee smart city greatly increases transparency and the visibility of cities, companies and other smart city actors. Learn more at https://www.beesmart.city
About TM Forum
TM Forum is an association of over 850 member companies generating US$2 trillion in revenue and serving five billion customers across 180 countries. TM Forum drives collaboration and collective problem-solving to maximize the business success of communication and digital service providers and their ecosystem of suppliers around the world. The focus is on supporting members as they navigate their unique digital transformation journeys, providing practical and proven assets and tools to accelerate execution and platforms to facilitate collaborative problem solving and innovation. Learn more at www.tmforum.org
Tel. +44 (0) 203 824 9200