Over the past years, the smart city concept has reached a state of mainstream acknowledgment throughout the world. However, several important aspects are subject to constant debate:
- What is the best or a suitable smart city definition?
- Does the smart city concept apply to cities only, or does it include rural or smaller communities?
- Is the smart city concept technology- or human-centric?
- What are the key success factors of leading smart cities?
- What are the strategic governance approaches?
- What can be derived from best practices in smart cities development?
In our review on becoming a smart city, we will cover all of these topics that relate to the smart city evolution and defining the term smart city from a practical perspective.